May 29, 2007
At Base 16 we recognize that privacy is important. This Policy applies to all of the products, services and websites offered by Base 16 Consulting, Inc. or its subsidiaries or affiliated companies (collectively, Base 16's "services").
Information we collect and how we use it:
We offer a number of services that do not require you to register for an account or provide any personal information to us, such as our public web site. In order to provide our full range of services, we may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide - When you sign up for a Base 16 Account or other Base 16 service that requires registration, we ask you for personal information (such as your name, email address and an account password).
- Log information - When you use Base 16 services, our servers automatically record information that your web browser sends whenever you visit a website. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and one or more cookies that may uniquely identify your web browser.
- User communications - When you send email or other communication to Base 16, we may retain those communications in order to process your inquiries, respond to your requests and improve our services.
- Providing our products and services to users, including the display of customized content and advertising;
- Auditing, research and analysis in order to maintain, protect and improve our services;
- Ensuring the technical functioning of our network; and
- Developing new services.
Base 16 processes personal information on our servers in the United States of America. We may process personal information to provide our own services. In some cases, we may process personal information on behalf of and according to the instructions of a third party, such as our advertising partners.
Choices for personal information
When you sign up for a particular service that requires registration, we ask you to provide personal information. If we use this information in a manner different than the purpose for which it was collected, then we will ask for your consent prior to such use.
If we propose to use personal information for any purposes other than those described in this Policy, we will give you the option to opt out of the use of personal information for those other purposes.
You can decline to submit personal information to any of our services, in which case Base 16 may not be able to provide those services to you.
Base 16 only shares personal information with other companies or individuals outside of Base 16 in the following limited circumstances:
- We have your consent.
- We provide such information to our subsidiaries, affiliated companies or other trusted businesses or persons for the purpose of processing personal information on our behalf. We require that these parties agree to process such information based on our instructions and in compliance with this Policy and any other appropriate confidentiality and security measures.
- We have a good faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of such information is reasonably necessary to (a) satisfy any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request, (b) detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues, or (c) protect against imminent harm to the rights, property or safety of Base 16, its users or the public as required or permitted by law.
We may share with third parties certain pieces of aggregated, non-personal information, such as the number of users who use a specific Base 16 service, for example, or how many users clicked on a particular advertisement. Such information does not identify you individually.
Please contact us at the address below for any additional questions about the management or use of personal data.
We take appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of data. These include internal reviews of our data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures, as well as physical security measures to guard against unauthorized access to systems where we store personal data.
We restrict access to personal information to Base 16 employees, contractors and agents who need to know that information in order to operate, develop or improve our services.
Base 16 processes personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected and in accordance with this Policy. We review our data collection, storage and processing practices to ensure that we only collect, store and process the personal information needed to provide or improve our services. We take reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we process is accurate, complete, and current, but we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary.
Accessing and updating personal information
When you use Base 16 services, we make good faith efforts to provide you with access to your personal information and either to correct this data if it is inaccurate or to delete such data at your request if it is not otherwise required to be retained by law or for legitimate business purposes. We ask individual users to identify themselves and the information requested to be accessed, corrected or removed before processing such requests, and we may decline to process requests that are unreasonably repetitive or systematic, require disproportionate technical effort, jeopardize the privacy of others, or would be extremely impractical (for instance, requests concerning information residing on backup tapes), or for which access is not otherwise required. In any case where we provide information access and correction, we perform this service free of charge, except if doing so would require a disproportionate effort.
Base 16 regularly reviews its compliance with this Policy. Please feel free to direct any questions or concerns regarding this Policy or Base 16's treatment of personal information by contacting us through this web site or by writing to us at Privacy Matters, c/o Base 16 Consulting, Inc., PO Box 9235, Arlington, VA 22219-1235, USA. When we receive formal written complaints at this address, it is Base 16's policy to contact the complaining user regarding his or her concerns. We will cooperate with the appropriate regulatory authorities, including local data protection authorities, to resolve any complaints regarding the transfer of personal data that cannot be resolved between Base 16 and an individual.
Changes to this policy
If you have any additional questions or concerns about this Policy, please feel free to contact us any time through this web site or at Privacy Matters, c/o Base 16 Consulting, Inc., PO Box 9235, Arlington, VA 22219-1235, USA.